For many homebuyers, buying a home is primarily an emotional process. To them, it’s not really about finding a property that will rise in value in the future. It’s not about getting the lowest price for the property either. It’s all about finding their dream home.
So while there are a lot of articles out there about how you can find the best deal in the Santa Cruz housing market, they all boil down to just one crucial advice: get a buyer’s agent
That’s really the most important thing you can do. Every credible article about real estate will mention this requirement.
You need a buyer’s agent who will listen to you and take note of all your real estate needs and preferences. What you don’t want is one who will just pitch the properties that he’s already trying to sell. That’s an agent who represents a seller, and who doesn’t have your best interests in mind.
Your agent can then do some basic research for you. The agent knows which areas have good neighborhoods with a low crime rate and if you have kids they also know which part of town has the best schools. You can describe the kind of home you want, and they’ll know where to find what you’re looking for.
Meanwhile, here are some other things you can do for yourself:
- Go online and find properties you may like. Google is your friend. Also, your agent can give you tips on which websites to visit for the best Santa Cruz listings.
- You can also take care of your finances. How will you pay for the house? You need to arrange for financing as quickly as you can, so that when a home that you like is on the market you can negotiate for it easily.
- You can visit neighborhoods personally. Take a drive and see the homes with your own eyes. Sometimes online pictures don’t tell an accurate story. Take a peek at your potential future neighbors to see if they can be your friends. Maybe you can take a walk around the neighbor and look around, while you chat with residents so you can get an idea of what it’s like to live there.
Obviously, if the neighborhood doesn’t feel safe for you to walk around, it may not be the best place for you.
- Arrange home viewings with your agent. You can pretty much get an idea of whether or not you like the home based on what you see, but your agent will be more discerning and look at the property more objectively. The agent can pinpoint defects in the home which you will need to fix, for example. You may also want to get a clear idea of the borders of the property.
- Let the agent negotiate for you. While the agent may need to know if you actually loved the property they showed you, it may not be a good idea to let the seller know this. So let your agent negotiate for you so that you don’t have to pay more than you have to.
In a way, finding the best deal in Santa Cruz real estate all boils down to finding the right agent to represent you.